Spring is on its way, the daffodils are out and people are starting to think about what to plant in their gardens for the summer. August was a busy month at the Harbour Co-op. You may have noticed that things have been re-arranged in the shop, which is looking amazing, and there are also a number of exciting new products to try. Enjoy the following member’s specials for September:
TRADE AID provides the world's most disadvantaged producers with support to improve their lives, by buying and selling their products, telling their stories and speaking out for greater justice in world trade. It is a not-for-profit organisation, putting producers at the heart of everything it does. To show their support for the Harbour Co-op, all trade Aid purchases in September put you in the draw to win a trade aid gift basket.
- 10% Off Trade Aid Milk & Dark Chocolate 50gm and 200gm. It is great chocolate…what more can you say!
- 10% Off all Trade Aid Soaps
- 10% Off Ethiopian “Yirgacheffe” - medium grind coffee 200gm. This is a medium bodied lively coffee with floral, sweet citrus and mocha tones.
- 10% Off Better Day Blend Beans 200gm. A smooth yet lively well rounded espresso blend that is sweet, with enough bite for a satisfying cup.
- 10% Off all Trade Aid Spices
- 5% Off Trade Aid Coconut Milk. This is a high quality coconut milk, fair trade, premium organic; highly nutritious, rich in fibre, vitamins and minerals.
- 10% Off Palestinian Olive Oil 500ml. Palestinian Agricultural Relief Committees (PARC) carefully selects the olives from rain fed olive trees in Palestine to make this olive oil. The process is free from any chemicals and uses only animal compost. The result is virgin cholesterol-free olive oil.
- 10% Off Trade Aid Jute, String and Print Bags. Jute is an environmentally friendly material which is 100% bio-degradable.
WAIHI BUSH: was originally settled by David Musgrave's family in the 1870's, when the Woodbury area was a significant source of native timber. Fortunately 15 ha of virgin native bush were retained on the property and this is now the only remaining example left on the Canterbury Plains. It includes many magnificent totara, matai and kahikatea over 1000 years old. Waihi Bush Organic Farm became Bio-Gro Certified Organic in 1988 and the first flax seed crop was grown there in 1994.
- 5% Off Waihi Bush Flax Original, Flax Balance, and Flax Boost. 250ml and 500ml.
- 10% Off Waihi Bush Flax Bloom 250ml and 500ml. Flax Bloom is recommended for pregnant or lactating women or women going through menopause.
- 10% Off Waihi Bush Flax Magic 250ml and 500ml. Flax Magic is the blend of choice for babies and children as it is uniquely balanced with Omega 3 and Omega 6 to ensure healthy child development and brain growth.
ORGANIC BABY: For those with little ones, the Harbour Co-op is offering 10% Off the entire Organic Baby Food Range.
BEAN SUPREME: Organic and Firm Style Tofu 5% Off.
AVALON ORGANICS: This is new in the shop. Avalon Organics was founded in 1994 and works to create exceptionally pure and effective personal care products. Avalon Organics is inspired by organic agriculture and the ongoing struggle towards true sustainability. It uses 100% vegetarian ingredients and rejects animal testing at any level.
- Shampoo and Conditioner: Formulated with natural botanicals and essential oils, these gentle, safe and effective shampoos and conditioners will give you vibrant, healthy-looking hair without harsh preservatives and hair-stripping cleansers.
- Lemon Hand and Body Lotion: Rebalance and nourish your skin. A lipid-rich combination of Safflower Oil, Beta-Glucan and Shea Butter, combined with refreshing Lemon Essential Oil and soothing Aloe Vera, naturally restore your skin’s lipid balance with a daily dose of nourishing moisture to keep skin soft and supple.
- BUY ANY TWO AND GET A $3 DISCOUNT
BICARBONATE OF SODA: Book Special. With every purchase of the Bicarbonate of Soda book, receive a Free 1kg bag of Baking Soda to get you started! (Only while stocks last as there are a limited number of books available.)
Bicarbonate of soda is far more than a baking ingredient - it can be used in all manner of household tasks including cleaning, laundry, animal care, and health and beauty. This is the essential guide to maximizing the potential of this cheap, environmentally-friendly and multi-purpose product.
BULK ITEM SPECIALS:
- 10% Off Organic Pumpkin Seeds (China)
- 10% Off Organic Red and Organic White Quinoa. What is Quinoa you may be asking? Quinoa was a staple food for thousands of years in the Andes region of South America. While quinoa is usually considered to be a whole grain, it is actually a seed, but can be prepared like whole grains such as rice or barley. Try a quinoa pilaf salad recipe, or serve a vegetable stir-fry over cooked quinoa instead of rice. Quinoa is one of my favourite whole grain for three reasons: First, it takes less time to cook than other whole grains – just 10 to 15 minutes. Second, quinoa tastes great on its own. Add a bit of olive oil, sea salt and lemon juice and - yum! Finally, of all the whole grains, quinoa has the highest protein content, so it's perfect for vegetarians and vegans. Quinoa provides all 9 essential amino acids, making it a complete protein. It is also gluten-free and cholesterol-free.
FRUIT AND VEG SPECIALS: These will vary throughout the month as they are subject to seasonal availability and weather conditions – like that huge downpour of rain we had in August! Please come in and see what is on offer.
Also don’t forget that members get 10% Off bulk outer orders.
Well, that’s all for a Friday night! See you in the shop,
The Harbour Co-op Team.