Why is local food important?
- Less stress on the environment from transportation - greatly reduced 'food miles'
- Better nutrition - less time spent in transit means the fresh goods are fresher when they reach you
- Your taste buds will love you for it - less time in transit = fresher
- You're supporting your local economy
- It's safer - less exposure to contamination, and any exposure is to the bugs in your local environment
- Seasonal variety - eating locally improves the range of foods you eat throughout the year and improves the diversity of locally grown crops